News and Local Information about Eaton Bray in Bedfordshire.
Skip navigation

Caleb Cook, born Eaton Bray 1810/11; please help find him!

January 4, 2017 by Kate Birley in forum Genealogy / History

#3469 Kate Birley, 4 January 2017, 16:04

My husband's direct ancestor, Caleb Cook, is consistent in reporting to the census that he was born in Eaton Bray in 1810/11.  However, on line searches have found no matching birth or christening.  He lived in London from at least the 1841 census, and probably earlier.  Banns were read in London for a marriage to Mary Ann Deacon in 1829, but they don't seem to have married until 1835, by which time they had 2 children. I wonder why?  Caleb worked as a shoemaker, but again I have been able to find no apprenticeship record.  Possibly he had an informal apprenticeship within his family?  I have found that Richard COOKE of Eaton Bray in the County of BDF, was a shoemaker in 1682, when he sent a son to an apprenticeship in London.  Also, a "Caleb Cook of East Smithfield in the parish of St Botolph without Aldgate in the County of Middlesex" was a Shoemaker in 1773 when he wrote his will.  This is the same parish as where "our" Caleb Cook married nearly 50 years later.  All very tantalizing and frustrating.  Any records, clues or guidance would be very welcome.
Many thanks.

#3507 Jackie Clark, 24 November 2017, 18:38

Hi,  Caleb Cook is my husband's direct ancestor too (William Caleb Cook, Alice Cook, Sydney Henry Clark, Terence John Robert Clark) and I am having the same problem.  I couldn't understand the 1929 and 1935 banns/marriage either - wouldn't you just love to be able to time travel !

Jackie

Reply to topic

All HTML, except <i>, <b>, <u> will require your topic to be moderated before it is publicly displayed.

Your Name:
Your Email Address:

Your Email Address will not be made public.
Topic Content:
On submission of your reply, a cookie may be stored on your local device as described in our Privacy Policy.

Return to topic list | Return to forum list

Please note that the views or comments expressed on this website (forum) are not necessarily those of the Parish Council. The Webmaster reserves the right to remove any defamatory, derogatory or libellous statement or words from the site.