News and Local Information about Eaton Bray in Bedfordshire.
Skip navigation

Naomi Tompkins b.1851

February 25, 2013 by Emma Barry in forum Genealogy / History

#1574 Emma Barry , 25 February 2013, 23:11

Hi

My great great grandmother was Naomi Tompkins born 1851, I've found her on the 1851 census living with her parents Jan,ex Tompkins and Hannah, but in 1861 she's appears to be with an aunt working as a straw plaiter at the age of 10 in what appears to be a farm of sort ( Pin... Something house)
I was just wondering if any other fa,ily could be made or if anyone knows what this house that she was living in 1861 was

Any help would be great fully appreciated

Thanks

Emma

#1576 Tom n Harry, 26 February 2013, 06:43

Hi Emma

The addressis 1861 is a PRIVATE HOUSE in Westernside.
In 1861 Westernside and Easternside were the High Street just showing which side of the road.

#1577 Tom n Harry, 26 February 2013, 06:52

Looking at the census for 1861 it looks like Naomi was living in Moor End but what house I don't know.

#1578 Emma Barry , 26 February 2013, 08:03

Thank you, I saw that later on when I was looking at other censuses,
It was just interesting to see her not living with her mother or father at the time, think her mum died when she was Aaron 4 I just have to figure out wether her father re married.

Thanks for your help

#1579 Tom n Harry, 26 February 2013, 08:15

There is a death registered September 1860 Leighton Buzzard for a James Tompkins.
Can't find your James after 1851 yet so this may be him.

#1580 Tom n Harry, 26 February 2013, 08:22

The 5 kids are scatered all over the village in 1861 so I think the death in 1860 is your James.
Hannah registed death December 1855 Leighton Buzzard.

#1583 Tom n Harry, 27 February 2013, 07:19

Emma

Don't know where you go from Naomi but there is a record on Ancestry for Fred Heels who was Naomi's son serving in the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry during WW1.
He was wounded on 5th August 1917.

#1584 Emma Barry , 27 February 2013, 17:28

Ok thanks that might be worth looking up,  I don't actually have a Fred heels on my tree but could have  missed him, my connection is George Heels.
Where Naomi and her siblings got sent off arid family members I was able to find her father James father Thomas and his wife Martha but that takes me back to 1787 ish ( thomas's approx birth rate) and I'm not sure what the next step is now, trawling through church records I suppose

#1585 Tom n Harry, 28 February 2013, 08:18

Emma
Don't know where I saw Fred unless it was on the 1891 census which I can't now find.
Will check Parish Registers for Thomas and Martha.
Lots of enteries for Tompkins family.

#1586 Tom n Harry, 28 February 2013, 08:34

Found the 1891 census with family transcribed on Ancestry as Smith.

Naomi Heels wife but no sign of William age 40.
Mary daughter 15 Straw Plaiter
George son 14 Ag Lab
Lizzie daughter 11 Scholar
Ada daughter 8 Scholar
Fred son 6 Scholar
Louisa daughter 3

Louisa born Edlesborough.
All other children born Eaton Bray.

#1587 Tom n Harry, 28 February 2013, 08:39

Sorry
Address for above census was the Green Edlesborough.

Eldest child Lucy is working as a Servant at Bellows Mill in 1891.

#1601 Emma Barry , 7 March 2013, 00:36

Thank you for finding this information for me I wonder if you could help with a few more questions
1. Naomi Tompkins married William Heels in 1872  both from  Eaton Bray, Williams dad ales William is a down as having a profession of tea dealer, do you know anything about this in the area my mum mentioned Lipton tea but in the 1881 he's down as being a bricklayer
2. Would you be able to help me re 1871 census Naomi is down as living with William and Mary heds( heels I think mis transcribed which is how I found it) and she is down as niece, her future husband not beeping found at that address

This is either William or Mary's ( formerly Room) meaning that William and Naomi could have been cousins, just want to see if I could find any further information in either family

Reply to topic

All HTML, except <i>, <b>, <u> will require your topic to be moderated before it is publicly displayed.

Your Name:
Your Email Address:

Your Email Address will not be made public.
Topic Content:
On submission of your reply, a cookie may be stored on your local device as described in our Privacy Policy.

Return to topic list | Return to forum list

Please note that the views or comments expressed on this website (forum) are not necessarily those of the Parish Council. The Webmaster reserves the right to remove any defamatory, derogatory or libellous statement or words from the site.